I have been quite busy during these past few months and I haven’t been able to publish anything but things are much calmer now and I hope to be able to keep my blog up to date. Being a huge fan of the holiday season, I wanted to publish a mulled wine or glühwein cupcake recipe that I came upon last year and I really like the end result because you have to admit that there is something about Christmas and baking that go hand in hand. I used glühwein which I found at Lidl instead of making mulled wine which saves on preparation time. You can also buy glühwein at IKEA. I hope you like it!
Makes 12 cupcakes
Ingredients for mulled wine
175 ml red wine
1 cinnamon stick
zest of half an orange
For the cupcakes
200g brown sugar
50g granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 medium glass of mulled wine (175ml)
1 tsp orange essence
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
50g good quality cocoa powder (I used Valrhona)
140g plain flour
For the spiced mascarpone icing
50g unsalted butter at room temperature
zest and juice of half an orange
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
175g icing sugar
1) Preheat oven at 180ºC and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cases
2) Heat the wine, spices and orange zest in a pan until it just comes to the boil, then remove from the heat, cover and allow to infuse for at least 30 minutes. Strain before using. I used the gluehwein so I got to skip the preparation of the mulled wine.
3) In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Mix in the egg and yolk, then add the mulled wine and essence and beat again. Fold in the dry ingredients.
4) Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for ten minutes, then put on a rack to cool completely.
Spiced Mascarpone icing
1) Put the butter, orange juice and zest, cinnamon and half the icing sugar in one bowl and beat slowly until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat again until well combined.
2) Add the mascarpone and beat on a medium speed for about 30 seconds, until just combined. Refrigerate the icing until it is ready to use. Finally, ice each cupcake.